Creed of Honor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A clan based around artwork, gaming, and much much more.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Make sure to find our chatbox, and catch the live stream! ~RQ

Master Tactician

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zevandir

Zevandir

Honor : 10191

Master Tactician Empty
PostSubject: Master Tactician   Master Tactician I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Hahaha, so this game never really kicked off, i realsied i didn't have enough time :s but there is a link in there to all the pictures etc i was working on, so anybody can take this psot and the linked pictures to make it themselves if they want. I had a thought today tho, of an RP version, with just a big map everyone can see. So I will work on that :-) its mainly coz i missed sign ups for all the other clan RP's so I'm bored :-P It will be on the RP section so if sum1 wants to lock this thread (Don't delete please, reasons stated above) that would be cool.

Code:
Master Tactician-
This game ismore of a forum-based game, rather than an RP, as people do not play the ‘role’of their character. Instead, they pit their wits against the other opponent/sin an attempt to win the battle. This is very similar to Runescapes Conquest,but each person can move more than 1 unit a turn, and attack with more than 1unit a turn. This game is also very different to other forum games in that itwill not be a text based thing, there [i]will[/i]be pictures and movable boards used in the game to give it a more realisticfeel. In time, I will be able to create a board that can be altered easier torepresent gameplay.
Currently, Ihave all the necessary rules etc. to ensure good gameplay, but am currentlyslightly stuck with the idea of actually moving the pieces, but I think I willgo with text-based commands and I will alter the board to suit.
In the game,single units are rarely used, most of the time, the units are grouped togetherin groups of 5-10, usually 10.

Gameplay-
1v1 matches orteams of one-four players, but the players will need to work in sync as theywill be required to post their commands as one post.
Players select ateam from the units provided, if it is a ‘special’ scenario, the availableunits will be reduced, and as of yet, the artwork (mainly edits at the moment)is incomplete. For the purpose of this post, we will say that there are 5 unitsand 2 commanders to choose from, and the maximum point value available is 15(basically players can not use a team of units that is worth more than 15points). Units and commanders below.
[i]Units-[/i]
[i]Black/WhiteInfantry, 2 points (6 movement, 15 attack, 1 range, 30 health)[/i]
[i]Black/WhiteKnights, 3 points (8 movement, 18 attack, 1 range, 40 health)[/i]
[i]Black/WhiteHeavy Knights, 4 points (4 movement, 20 attack, 1 range, 50 health)[/i]
[i]Black/WhiteCrossbowmen, 2 points (7 movements, 12 attack, 4 range, 20 health)[/i]
[i]Black/WhiteArchers, 2 points (6 movement, 10 attack, 8 range, 18 health)[/i]
[i]                        (There are no uniqueunits in this game)[/i]
[i]            Commanders-[/i]
[i]Black-Blood WarLord and bodyguard, 5 Points (8 movements, 25 attack, 1 range, 75health) Increases attack by6 of units within 6 squares of him.[/i]
[i]Black-Demon General and bodyguard, 5 Points (8 movements, 25 attack, 1 range, 75health) Increases health by 10 of units around him.[/i]
[i]-[/i]
[i]White-BattleField Commander and guard, 5 Points (8 movements, 25 attack, 1 range, 75health) Increases attack by6 of units within 6 squares of him.[/i]
[i]White-Guard Captain and guard, 5 Points (8 movements, 25 attack, 1 range, 75 health)Increases health by 10 of units around him.[/i]

These are theavailable units and commanders with their skills. Now that the basic units andcommanders templates are understood, let us move on to actual gameplay. Theboard on this game is two stages, each 18 squared. In between stages are gaps,these require at least 4 movement to cross, so a Heavy Knight unit would haveto be standing on the square bordering the gap to cross in a turn, a Knight,however, could gross the gap from 4 squares away from the gap. For the purposeof this instruction, there is no affecting terrain on the boards, just open andempty fields.
            Theseare the units that are being used by each team.
Black- Blood WarLord and 2 crossbow unitsaccompanied by a Heavy Knight unit. Points Value; 13 points.
White- Guard Captain and 2 infantry unit, 1archer unit, accompanied by 1 Knight units. Points Value; 12 points.

Each player can arrange their units within5 squares up along the entire back edge of their starting stage. For thepurpose of the tutorial, the units are very few and are not grouped intosquads. Here are the starting line-ups for Black and White-

Black Units top, White Units Bottom
 [table class="posting-table" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"]  [tr]  [td width="0" height="2"]
[/td]  [/tr]  [tr]  [td]
[/td]  [td][img(413px,840px)]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/John/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image003.gif[/img][/td]  [/tr] [/table]
Movement-
A unit cantravel over as many squares as its ‘movement’ attribute states, this game workslike any other game, the square a object starts on is not counted, but the lastsquare is. A unit [i]can [/i]traveldiagonally in the game. However, a unit cannot move across an object, such as abuilding. If a building is in-between a unit and it’s objective, the unit mustmove in an ‘L’ shape to go around the building, unable to move diagonally. Thishampers the unit’s movement, resulting in less travelled ground. This can beused to the advantage of the enemy unit, by hiding behind things. This can alsobe circumvented by planning ahead and spying out other areas or paths first.The first turn can be used only to position troops, neither team can move theirtroops yet.

Combat-
            Thereare two types of conflict, ranged and melee. As melee is less complex, we willstart with that. Melee combat requires the attacking unit to be directly nextto the attacked unit, basically, the squares each unit is on have to be next toeach other. Then, the attacker attacks. The attacker’s attack attribute issubtracted from the defenders health attribute, then, if the defender is stillalive, it retaliates. This time, the defender’s attack attribute is subtractedfrom the attackers health attribute.
            Rangedcombat is essentially the same; the only difference is that a unit can attack fromthe range specified in its ‘range’ attribute. A range of 1 means the unit is amelee unit. The ranged attribute works the same way as the movement attribute,only the unit doesn’t have to move. In the retaliation phase, a unit cannotretaliate if they are a melee unit or out of range. For example; if an archeris on G1 (square coordinate, no picture reference) and attacks a crossbow uniton G8, the archer can safely attack without fearing retaliation, as the enemycrossbowman is unable to attack the archer back. My examining this simplescenario, we can see the different pros and cons of units, archers can attackfrom further but are weaker than crossbowmen.

Skills and Tactics-
            Mostskills are part of the commanders or generals who own them, but some are usablein any situation by the commanding player. Skills can only be used a certainnumber of times in a game and can only be used if they are in play, they arenot able to be used if the player does not have them to use. These skills are-

Hasty Retreat-
Up to two units can retreat for the valueof their movement attribute. This skill is excellent when used in conjunctionwith fast-moving units, as they can run in and strike, then retreat before theenemy can counter. This skill does NOT enable a unit to escape retaliation.
            Smokeon the wind-
This skill is identical to Hasty Retreat,but prevents retaliation to melee units (they retreat before the enemy canretaliate). Therefore, this skill is much rarer.

BerserkFury-
A selected unit can move 3 more squares andattack for 10 more damage in one turn, but the counter to this is that the turnloses 25 healths for that turn, so if they fail to destroy the enemy, theretaliation could very well kill them. The health that is lost due to the skillis returned at the end of the turn, so if a unit uses this skill and is hit for25 of their 50 health, they die, and the health return is useless, but if theyare hit for 25 of 60 health, they go down to 10 health until their next turn,in which they go back up to 35 (unless they are killed).
            Resurrection-
A single unit can be revived from the dead,and can be placed anywhere in the starting zone of that player.

Charge-
The movement of a unit is increased by 6for a single turn.

BraceShields-
This skill enables a unit to boost heirhealth by 40 unit their next turn. Is best used before attacking, so theretaliation after the attack and the counter-strike of the opponents next turnis absorbed.

Disaray-
Disaray is a negative skill that isacquired when the commanding general of an army is killed, this results in theplayer who lost their general missing a turn.

Tactics-
There are no defined tactics in the game,but some things that are useful- frontal attacks result in normal damage unlessthe defending or attacking is under the affects of skills. The sides are weakerthan the front, and suffer an extra 20% damage, the rear is weakest of all andsuffers and extra 35% damage. In order to execute flank and rear attacks, theattacking unit must be positioned to the flank/rear of the opponent; this isthe same for ranged units. The direction that an opponent is facing isdetermined by whatever way it moved in, if it moved from north to south withoutchanging direction, it is facing south. It costs one movement point to changedirection, but this is often worthwhile.

A few tactics that can be used by a player-
The pincer. A player uses two squads toattack both flanks at the same time, before the enemy retaliates, this causes awhopping 40% extra damage, on top of the damage affected to the target by thetwo units already. This tactic uses both squads to strike before the enemyretaliates, however the enemy can retaliate to bot. The best squads to use thepincer with are heavy, slow moving squads who are almost guaranteed to kill theenemy unit, or faster moving units who need to team up to take down a largerunit.

The Flanking Manoeuvre. This manoeuvre usesa squad to circle another, delivering a crushing blow to the flank, if one usesthree squads, two to pincer and one to flank, the result is almost guaranteedannihilation.
These two manoeuvres should suffice to giveplayers the knowledge to create more.

Coupling-
Coupling is more or less the use of skillsin conjunction with tactics, making tactics better and stronger, if you will.]

That pretty much covers gameplay, apartfrom terrain, which will be covered later.

So we find ourselves on the final topic,how to post a move.

In between turns by players, I (or a modwho decides to help and has gimp) will alter the board to suit the move/s madeby the player before, then give the next player the green light. I have set upa gimp image so that the units are movable images, and by using the ‘save acopy’ save function, I can copy the moved images into a postable format, whileretaining the alterable image.
Ok, so how to post.
Here is an example of a [i]good[/i] post.
Turn 1- Black Team
This is my set-up up turn. I have selected5 crossbowmen, 3 archers and 2 knights. My commander is the Blood WarLord. Mypoint’s value is 24/25. I have placed the crossbowmen on squares (Letters arethe ‘Y’ axis, up and down, a at the top and z at the bottom, and numbers arethe x axis, left to right) Z4, Z5, Z6, Z7 and Z8. My archer on the rank infront, Y6, Y7 and Y8. Flanking the archers are my knights, on Y5 and Y9. Mycommander is at the head of my army on X6. All my soldiers are facing North,upwards. I have no skills to play in this turn.

Current Troop statistics. (Best to copy andpaste this between turns, changing accordingly. Set health to ‘0’ when unit iskilled)
Z4, Crossbowman 20 Health
Z5, Crossbowman 20 Health
Z6, Crossbowman 20 Health
Z7, Crossbowman 20 Health
Z8, Crossbowman 20 Health
Y5, Knight 40 Health
Y6, Archer 18 Health
Y7, Archer 18 Health
Y8, Archer 18 Health
Y9, Knight 40 Health
X6, Blood WarLord (Commander) 75 Health

End Turn.

Here is an example of a bad post-
I’ve got some knights and a few archers, Ialso got 1 or 2 heavy knights, my boss is the guard captain ‘cos he is prettycool. They are on the ‘a’ line.
This postcontains absolutely no information or specifications, and would be disregarded,meaning that this player misses a turn.

So now you knowhow to play and how it will work. In the actual games, there will be actualgridded maps with their coordinates on the side, so have no fear :P

Well what areyou waiting for? Stop reading and sign up! Tournaments or matches will beginwhen I finish the artwork :P

Signed Up-
Azk
Zev

Resources-
http://www.mediafire.com/?lqw76s3mwtpxvn3
all my images right tha, also squad pics and templates, notes and rules inc. maps section is incomplete.

Last edited by Zevandir on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Azk

Azk

Honor : 10595

Master Tactician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Master Tactician   Master Tactician I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 am

Well i got me some peoples and i reckon i could move em up to kill some othar peoples yerrrr? kay man thatd be sweet as. so like my knighty guy will kill they're knighty guy and we all set? ...hic!

Oh yeah, but I actually will play properly... maybe.
Back to top Go down
Zevandir

Zevandir

Honor : 10191

Master Tactician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Master Tactician   Master Tactician I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:04 am

lol, ill put up proper boards etc lol. How many people do you reckon should join b4 we start a game?
Back to top Go down

Master Tactician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Master Tactician   Master Tactician I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 12:22 am

Yeesh, put enough info in that one post?
I'll still join because i love Tactics.
Back to top Go down
Killyouall6

Killyouall6

Honor : 10092
Location : Stealing your cookies from a cookie jar in your kitchen

Master Tactician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Master Tactician   Master Tactician I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 pm

im in
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Master Tactician Empty
PostSubject: Re: Master Tactician   Master Tactician I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Master Tactician
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Creed of Honor :: Community Zone :: Forum Based Games-
Jump to: