Creed of Honor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A clan based around artwork, gaming, and much much more.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Make sure to find our chatbox, and catch the live stream! ~RQ

Darkness Eternal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Poppy Bill

Poppy Bill

Honor : 11415

Darkness Eternal Empty
PostSubject: Darkness Eternal   Darkness Eternal I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 5:23 pm

The woman awoke with a start. She sat up and began to survey her surroundings. She flinched, then began to groan as she grabbed her head. Her head felt like it was about to burst! Once the pain had subsided, the woman began to examine her surroundings. She was in a small meadow, lush with all manner of green plants and brightly colored flowers. Though, try as she might, she could not recall how she had got here...or anything, for that matter. She looked at the ground. There, on the ground next to her, was a finely crafted sword, and a mysterious black tome. The woman reached out and picked up the tome, and began to flip through the pages. Most of the pages appeared to contain arcane chants and rituals, but some of the pages also had hastily scribbled notes on the side of the page.

"This is important..." the woman remarked, though she didn't know why. She couldn't place it, but she felt that this book was deeply connected to her, almost as if it was a shard of her very soul. She stood up, her head still aching, and closed the tome. She picked up the sword (assuming that it was hers), sheathed it, and began to pick her way through the brush and brambles. Several minutes later, she stumbled upon a travel-worn road. She looked down both paths, and decided to travel down the southern road. As she walked, she flipped the tome open and began to read the first page. At the top of the page was written: This doðrantur er the eign af Velja Næturgali. The words seemed strangely familiar to the woman. She concentrated on the words for a few minutes longer. "...Selena." The woman said, after a few moments of concentration. "My name is Selena Nightingale...I think." Selena wasn't entirely sure whether the tome was hers, but she decided that she would use the name Selena until she either confirmed it as her real name, or discovered her real name.

She walked for many minutes, reading passages from the tome (The passages she could decipher) until she heard voices farther up on the trail.

"...Already given you all we have!" one voice exclaimed.

"That paltry sum was all you have?" another voice asked incredulously. This voice sounded deeper and more menacing than the first. "I'm afraid that simply won't do. You see..." the second voice continued. "Like you merchants, I, too, need to make a quota at the days end." Selena rounded the treebend to find a small caravan surrounded by bandits. One of the merchants looked up and saw Selena. Believing that she was an adventurer, he called out, "Gods be praised! Adventurer, please help us!" The bandits spun around, and saw the young woman. The bandit leader chuckled.

"Well, well..." he said, eyeing Selena lewdly. "What brings a lady like yourself out into the woods? Don't you know its dangerous?"

Several other bandits began to laugh, catching on to what their boss was planning on doing. Selena took a cautious step backwards, also understanding what the brigands were thinking.

"Don't fret." the bandit leader continued. "I'm not gonna kill you..."

Again, the bandits laughed. Two of the younger merchants looked at each other and nodded. They weren't fighters, but they were certainly willing to defend the integrity of their caravan and this woman.

They hopped out of their wagon and rushed at the nearest thieves. They bowled into the bandits near the wagon, and began to roll and kick and punch each other. Several other bandits cried out to alert their leader, but he dismissed them, focused on the "prize" in front of him. Selena looked beyond the bandit, to the two merchants who were desperately trying to hold out against the advancing bandits.

"Stand down!" Selena yelled at the man. The man grinned.

"Oh, you've got some fire in ya..."

At the mention of fire, Selena felt magical energies building up in her fingers. She placed her palm on the man's chest and cried out "Fete!" Instantly, the man's chest ignited on fire. Selena hopped back a step, surprised at what she had just done. The man screamed and began rolling on the ground. Selena didn't have time to figure out what just happened. She hopped over the burning bandit and rushed to the two merchants. The bandits however, had other plans. After seeing their leader burst into flames, they lost the heart for the fight. They dropped all of the merchants lost goods and rushed into the forests. The two merchants had taken a beating, but were still able to stand.

"My gratitude!" One of them exclaimed. "May I ask your name?"

"Selena." the woman said, still in shock at what she did. "Selena Nightingale."
Back to top Go down
Poppy Bill

Poppy Bill

Darkness Eternal Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 1: Caravan   Darkness Eternal I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 5:33 pm

After seeing to the injured merchants and retrieving the caravan's missing goods, the caravan master approached Selena.

"My lady," he began. "You have saved the caravan's goods, along with many lives, today. If there is anything we can do for you, we are humbly at your service."

Selena smiled at the comment. "Anything?" Selena asked.

"Anything." the caravan master said again. "Its the least we can do." Selena thought for a bit.

"If you insist...could you tell me where I am?" She asked.

The caravan master laughed. "That's how you want to spend your favor?" he said, still chuckling. He looked at Selena, who's expression hadn't changed. "...You're serious?" the man asked. Selena nodded. "Well, I'll do ya one better! Why not travel with us? We'll reach our destination in a week or so, and its certainly faster than walkin'!"

Selena graciously accepted, promising not to be a bother or annoyance. The man waved that away, telling her that she could never be a burdan.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced. Name's Jherek." the caravan master said after they had the wagons moving again.

"Selena." Selena replied. "At least, I think it is..."

Jherek looked at her curiously. "Its not every day I meet someone who can't remember their own name." Jherek laughed. Selena laughed too, glad she was in good company. After conversing with Jherek for a few minutes, she sat down on the edge of the wagon, flipped open the mysterious tome, and began reading. She grinned as she read some of the footnotes scribbled next to some spells. One read: "Works better than anticipated." Another read: "Should only use in dire situations."

As the sun began to dip beneath the horizon, the caravan stopped to rest for the night. Selena continued to read the tome, even as the other merchants began to drift off to sleep. As Selena continued to read, one particular spell caught her eye. Next to the spell was written : "Use only in the dark." Selena looked up to the sky. Numberless stars dotted the sky, and the moon was fast rising.

"Seems dark enough." Selena said to herself. She read the spell once more, then brought her hand up and said, "Mas Illu." Immediately, a bright explosion of light shot from Selena's upraised hand. Selena shrieked in surprise as the explosion of light blinded her. She fell back on the ground, cursing and holding a hand to her watering eyes.

Selena heard the sounds of footsteps coming towards her.

"Is everything alright? I heard a shriek."

Selena recognized the voice as Jherek's. "Everything's fine." Selena muttered, her eyes still watering. "Just a spell gone wrong, is all."

She couldn't see Jherek's concerned look, but she still felt his presence. "I'm fine!" Selena assured him, forcing her eyes to open. Jherek looked at her for a few moments before decideding that the mysterious sorceress was okay. Selena closed the tome and threw it on top of her belongings, irritated at the spell. She made a mental note to change that footnote to a little better warning. She laid down on her bed, her eyes red and watery, and drifted off to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Bill

Poppy Bill

Darkness Eternal Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 2: Dream   Darkness Eternal I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Selena stood in a dark room. The room was sparsely lit with a few torches, their light flickering and dancing on the floor and walls. On the opposite side of the room, a figure sat in a chair, his features hidden in the shadows.

"You are truly bold to seek me out." he began, his voice monotone. "Or perhaps you are foolish."

Selena chuckled. "Its funny how often those two are mixed together." she said.

The mysterious figure did not laugh. He did not do anything. "Why do you seek me out, whelp?" the man asked. "Perhaps you seek to destroy me? Thousands have tried. All have failed."

Selena knew that the man was not boasting, but stating fact. She shivered. She fell on her hands and knees, keeping her gaze down.

"Please," she began. "Teach me. Educate me in your ways, your art! I am willing to learn, I will do anything to please you...that is, if you will accept me as your student."

The man began to laugh hysterically. "Do you realize I could drive you mad with one word? Or I could burn the flesh off your bones?" the figure asked, leaning forward in his chair.

Selena closed her eyes, truly afraid. "But..." he said suddenly. "You have proved your worth and courage by finding me. I shall train you, Selena Nightingale."

Selena awoke with a start. The sun was beginning its ascent into the sky. Jherek, noticing that she was awake, strode over to Selena.

"Glad you're awake!" he greeted. "We were going to set out early today. How did you sleep?"

Selena shrugged, not knowing how to answer.
Back to top Go down
Poppy Bill

Poppy Bill

Darkness Eternal Empty
PostSubject: Chapter 3: The Sacred Language of Shadows   Darkness Eternal I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Three days had passed since Selena had joined on with the caravan. According to Jherek, they were heading to a small town known as BattleOn, built during the great fire war with the mighty red dragon Akriloth. Selena passed the time by playing games with the other merchants, talking to Jherek, and attempting to decipher her mysterious tome (if it even was her's).

"You've been doing nothing but stare at that book since we picked you up. It must be something of value, huh?" Jherek asked, observing Selena.

Selena was silent for several moments longer before she raised her head to look at Jherek.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't really paying attention." Selena admitted, throwing Jherek a quick smile. Her attention quickly shifted back to the open tome. She continued to stare at the same page for several minutes before snapping her book shut. Selena sighed and dropped the tome into her lap.

"What's wrong?" Jherek asked.

"It's nothing, really." Selena said. "Several pages of this tome are completely undecipherable. It's like, they were written in a dead language or something."

"Lemme see it." Jherek said, outstretching his hand. "Maybe I can make some sense of it."

Selena handed the tome to the caravan master and sat back on her seat. Jherek set the reigns down and flipped open the book. Most of the tome appeared to be written in another language, like Elvish or Orcish. He kept flipping through pages, until he found what must have been frustrating Selena.

The page that Jherek now stared at was written in onyx and crimson ink. Runes dotted the page, giving Jherek the impression that this page (and others like it) probably contained valuable information. As Jherek continued to flip through the tome, he noticed that all the remaining pages were written in the same fashion.

He handed the tome back to it's owner. "Well...it's definetly a language." Jherek joked.

Selena smiled, then returned to gaze at her book. "I feel like all the answers are hidden in that text...who I am, what I was..." the mage sighed. "I'm so close, yet so far."

Jherek was silent, in thought. An idea was forming in his mind.

"You know, Selena," he began. "I know someone who translates dead languages."

Selena's eyes lit up.

"He lives in a monastary not far from here, though it is off the beaten trail a ways." Jherek continued.

"Do you think he could translate this?" Selena asked, pointing to the tome.

"Anything's possible." Jherek replied, winking at Selena. "The trail that leads to the monastary isn't far. When we get there, I'll point you in the right direction."

"Oh." Selena said, disappointment obvious in her voice. "Aren't you going to come along?"

Jherek laughed. "Were that I could! But I have to deliver these supplies to the merchants in BattleOn."

"Don't worry, you'll be fine." Jherek said. "Once you get to the monastary, ask for a healer named 'Three-Fingers'. He'll help you. If he refuses, tell him Jherek wants to cash in on his favor."

After recieving more detailed directions from Jherek, and after bidding the caravan safe travels, Selena and the merchants parted. The road to the monastary that Jherek had spoken of was a little wild, in terms of plantlife, but Selena didn't mind. She enjoyed the fresh forest air, and the sounds of the wildlife around her.

It took Selena a little under an hour to reach the building. The sight of the majestic chapel took Selena's breath away. The building rested on the top of a large hill. The windows adorning the monastary were stained with images of glorious battles, heroes and heroines. But the most amazing feature of the building was it's sheer size. The building rivaled Swordhaven's castle in terms of size and beauty. Birds swooped and flew above the building, singing out, and giving the monastary a truly angelic feel.

Selena approached the doors, which were made of a marvelous oak, and rapped her knuckles against them. She could hear the echo of her knock resound throughout the inside of the structure.

The doors opened slightly, revealing a pudgy man in a white robe. A symbol was emblazoned on his robes, of an eye looking over a lit candle. Selena recognized the emblem. It was the symbol of Golma, the god of knowledge.

The pudgy man reached into the folds of his robe and produced a small cloth. The man wiped the cloth against his forehead, wiping away the beads of sweat that were beginning to form.

"Yes, young lady?" The pudgy man asked, tucking his cloth back into his pocket. "Is there something I might be able to help you with?"

"Yes, I'm looking for a healer named Three-Fingers?" Selena asked. "Do you know of him?"

"Ah, of course I know of him! The newest member of the Order of Golma. Please, come in." the man stepped to the side, and motioned for Selena to enter. Selena gave a slight bow, and stepped inside.

The inside of the building was just as beautiful as the outside. The floor was polished to a neat finish. Large windows adorned the sides of the building, allowing copious amounts of sunlight to stream through. At the far end of the monastary was a pedistal, surrounding by the symbol of Golma and Mori and a number of other gods. Selena guessed that the Order likely held sermons there.

Scholars and priests mulled about around the bookshelves, some quietly engaged in conversation, others with their noses in large books.

At the top of the monastary's wall was a large, circular mural of the symbol of Golma.

"Beautiful." Selena whispered, taken aback by the chapel's beauty.

"The mural is magically enchanted." the priest who had greeted her said. "During the day, the symbol appears as it normally does, with the eye overlooking the candle. A time for knowledge and study. At dusk, the eye closes, and the candle douses, meaning that it is time to rest, and ponder all that you have learned in the day."

"Wow." Selena said, amazed.

"I'm sorry, but I don't believe I got your name." the priest said.

"Oh, it's Selena." Selena said, shaking the man's hand.

"I'm Brother Davide." he said. He shook Selena's hand, then reached into his pocket and drew his cloth once more and wiped away the sweat that had begun to form on his forehead.

"A pleasure." Selena said. "I'm sorry to insist, but do you know where Three-Fingers is? It's rather important that I see him."

"Oh, yes!" Davide said. "Forgive me. I sometimes let my mind wander. Three-Fingers should be on the second floor, studying."

Selena thanked Davide and made her way over to the stairs, admiring the craftsmanship of the chapel. She ascended the staircase, and began her search for Three-Fingers.

Selena asked every priest and scholar that she passed where to find the healer. She eventually made her way over to the Artifact Chamber, where the Order of Golma kept their most prized artifacts. As she entered the room, a hooded man who was studying one of the artifacts turned to face her.

"Excuse me," the hooded figure said. "But the public is not permitted to enter this room without the accompanyment of a priest of Golma or a Druid of Mori."

"Forgive my intrusion, but I'm looking for someone. Do you know a healer named Three-Fingers?" Selena asked.

The hooded man threw back his hood, revealing a scaly, reptilian-like face. "I am Three-Fingers." the Troglodyte said. "Resident healer and scribe."

Selena's eyes widened in surprise. Never before had she ever seen a being like this.

Three-Fingers chuckled. "I am a Troglodyte, one of the natives of the southern swamplands." he explained. "Now, do you need something?"

"Uh...yes." Selena said, still surprised by Three-Fingers' appearence. She held up her tome. "Can you translate this?"

Three-Fingers snorted. "You want me to translate that book for you?" he asked. "That is time consuming work, and I have other projects to finish-"

"Jherek says that he would like to use his favor in this matter." Selena cut in.

"Jherek?" Three-Fingers asked. He laughed a bit and shook his head. "All right, I'll look at it."

"Just this part and beyond." Selena said, flipping to the page that she couldn't read.

Three-Fingers took the text and sat down at his desk. He only looked at it for a few seconds before giving his analysis.

"Wow..." he muttered. "Where did you get this, from a high-ranking member of Yami's cult?"

"Huh?" was all Selena said.

Three-Fingers handed the text back to her. "I cannot translate it." he said. "And even if I could, I'm not sure if I would want to."

"Well, what is it?" Selena asked. "What is this writing?"

"It is written in...a secret language. Followers of the God of Darkness have a special name for it, but most people call it Shadow Language." Three-Fingers explained. "Legend has it that Yami himself speaks this language."

Selena looked at the tome in amazement. If this was her tome, then she went to great lengths to protect some important (and possibly dark) secrets.

Three-Fingers stood up and began to walk towards the great hall. Selena quickly followed. "Where are you going?" she asked.

"I fulfilled your command." Three-Fingers said. "The book is untranslatable. Only someone who practices the Dark Arts could read it, or someone who has studied them extensively, and even then, it still might not make any sense. Yami's language is a total mystery."

"That's not true!" Selena countered. "We just need to find someone who could read Shadow. There must be dozens of mages who could-"

"Heh, more like A dozen." Three-Fingers snickered. "Shadow is not something that is read easily. Those with an affinity for darkness can read it better than others."

Selena grabbed Three-Fingers by his shoulder and spun him around.

"Please," she begged. "This tome contains the secret to who I really am! I'm begging you, please help me! I'll give you anything you want!"

Three-Fingers stood there for a moment. "Anything?" he asked.

"Anything." Selena replied.

"Very well. I'll help you...in exchange for the tome."

Selena's eyes revealed her surprise. "What?"

"That tome is worth more than you could imagine! Shadow writings are rare, and the contributions to history would be great!"

"All right." Selena said. "But we translate it first! Then I will hand over the tome to you."

Three-Fingers smiled.

"Deal."
Back to top Go down
Arata
Creative
Creative
Arata

Honor : 11254

Darkness Eternal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness Eternal   Darkness Eternal I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm

:O Kewl! So, the mysterious writing is the language of Yami! Interesting!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Darkness Eternal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Darkness Eternal   Darkness Eternal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darkness Eternal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Creed of Honor :: Community Zone :: Legends and Lore-
Jump to: