Creed of Honor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A clan based around artwork, gaming, and much much more.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Make sure to find our chatbox, and catch the live stream! ~RQ

Calvin's Story

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ookaminami

ookaminami

Honor : 20511

Calvin's Story Empty
PostSubject: Calvin's Story   Calvin's Story I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 pm

This is my first attempt at posting a story on this forum. I've had to transfer it a couple times already. hmm, I wonder if people read this part because it isn't part of the story but it is at the beginning. moving on. >_> Same as last time constructive criticism and comments are greatly appreciated. If you see any spelling or grammatical errors please feel free to let me know because I’m awful at proof reading. Thanks.

Calvin lay nearly unconscious on the ground in the middle of the battlefield with only the dead and wounded for company. Blood flowed freely from the deep gash on his forearm and the back of his leg where an enemy had severed his Achilles tendon. The battlefield was nearly silent. The only sounds were the groans and moans of the injured. Calvin would be lucky if he lived till sunset. Many of the men around him wouldn’t even make it that long. He stared into the brilliant blue sky and thought about his wife, Elizabeth, and how he would kill for the smallest sip of water. Calvin turned his head because he saw some movement out of the corner of his eye. He saw a man carefully picking his way through the mess of bodies and looking at them as he passed. He was wearing the same uniform as his company, so Calvin assumed that he was searching for the injured to take them to the medic and back to camp.

“Over here” he croaked and raised his uninjured arm to get the man’s attention. The man looked in his direction, and Calvin jumped as he realized that the man’s eyes were an inhuman yellow with slits for pupils. Fear gripped Calvin as the thing approached, and he realized that calling for help would be useless. Almost no one would hear him, and those who would hear him wouldn’t be able to help him at all. The thing picked Calvin up by his collar, slung him over its shoulder, looked around, and then headed into the forest.

The forest was dark and inviting compared to the bright glare of the field Nathan thought. He had a weak and critically injured man slung over his shoulder, and Nathan was going to have him as a late afternoon snack. Nathan’s partner in crime, named William, walked up to him from behind one of the trees.

“I see that you have found yourself a snack.” William said with unmasked disgust. “I find your eating habits quite disturbing.”

“I wouldn’t expect you to understand. You know you don’t have to stay and watch me eat.” Said Nathan coolly.

“I wasn’t planning on sticking around to watch you.” William said scornfully as he left. “Have a nice meal.”

Nathan took the man off his shoulder and stood him up the best he could. The man wobbled, tried to get away and fell over. Nathan reached down and picked the struggling man up by the back of his neck, and held him upright. The man swore and continued his failed attempts at getting away. Nathan noticed a knife on the man’s belt so he unsheathed it and threw it into the trunk of a tree at least twenty feet away. The man was becoming more and more frightened and Nathan smiled revealing his fangs. He wrapped his arms around the man and leaned him back in such a way that his neck was clearly exposed. He lowered his head to the man’s neck and bit into the artery quickly pulsing just below the skin.

Calvin felt the what he could only assume was a vampire’s fangs pierce his neck and he struggled with new found energy, but the thing had him in its vice like grip and he wasn’t making any headway. Calvin was becoming weaker and lighter headed with the passing seconds. He had already los a large amount of blood and this thing wasn’t helping. His body couldn’t struggle anymore and went limp. His eyes rolled back and his breath and heart rate raced before coming to an abrupt stop.

Nathan felt the man’s heart stop. That didn’t take long. He thought well, that’s what I get for picking up some half dead human off a battlefield. Nathan set the man on the forest floor, pricked his finger, and put a few drops of his blood in the dead man’s mouth. He rummaged through his pockets for a second and pulled out two gold coins, which he placed over the man’s eyes as he murmured something in an unknown language. Nathan leisurely stood up and walked off into the forest.

The remnants of Calvin’s infantry searched the battlefield and surrounding forests, a little later in the day, for their injured and dead comrades. A trench was being dug for the dead, and there was a weak and temporary truce as both sides collected and buried the dead and treated the wounded. Calvin’s body was discovered by his closest friend named Philip.
He started when he nearly tripped over Calvin’s body as he searched the nearby forest. Philip called to one of his friends whose name was Ronald to help him move the body to the mass grave. Ronald refused to even touch the body.

“I’m sorry Philip, but something isn’t right here. It feels completely wrong. What’s with the coins over his eyes?”

“Oh Ronald, stop being such a coward.” Philip said with a mixture of anger and annoyance. “Get over it. Calvin was a friend of ours.”

“Calvin was a friend of yours.” Ronald corrected and Philip gave him a glare that could have set the trees around them ablaze. Philip picked up Calvin’s by himself and hauled it to the mass grave where he placed it on top. He thought of the envelope that Calvin had given him the night before, that contained his wedding ring, a letter to his wife, and a letter to his parents and younger brother.

Calvin, while he was still living had charged Phillip with the duty of giving the envelope to his wife if anything were to happen to him during a skirmish or battle. Philip now wondered if Calvin had subconsciously sensed that something bad was going to happen to him.

Night fell and the stars were bright in the sky and moon shown with a pearly white light. Calvin awoke to find himself six feet under surrounded dead bodies. This was his worst nightmare. He was terrified of being buried alive. He frantically shoved the bodies aside and dug his way to the surface. He broke the surface after a few minutes of digging and pulled himself out of the grave before he collapsed to the ground shaking and panting. He calmed down shortly there after and was struck by how loud and bright everything was even though it was in the middle of the night. He could hear the wings flapping of the bats wheeling overhead, and see dark creatures moving deep in the forest. He clamped his hands over his ears and shut his eyes tightly. What is going on?! He thought what happened to me? The sounds quieted a little and things were not so blinding, so he opened his eyes, took his hands off his ears, and stood up shakily. A barn owl flew out of a near by tree directly at Calvin. He got out of the way and watched in amazement as the owl’s form changed mid flight and a young man landed in front of him. The young man was tall and thin with light brown eyes, and a combination of blond hair and cream and gold colored feathers on the top of his head.
“It’s about time that you woke up.” Said the young man and Calvin jumped when he realized that he was being talked to. “The night is almost over.”

“Philip, what do you want?” His commander asked impatiently.

“Well, Sir, I am here to request a few days of leave so that I can visit the family of a fallen friend and break the news to them, and give them what I was instructed by my friend to give them if he died.” Philip said in a rush. The commander glared at him a little before he spoke.
“You are aware, Philip, that we are on our way to take the capital.”

“Yes I am Sir. Calvin’s family only lives a few miles outside the capital, and I could meet back at camp before the battle.”

“You may have your leave Philip, but you have five days. Three to get to the Lawrence household, one day to break the new, and one day to return to camp. If you do not come to camp before 09:00 I will mark you a deserter and you will be hunted down. Do you understand me?”

“Yes Sir, I understand you perfectly.” Responded Philip

“Then you are dismissed.” Philip stood up, saluted, and all but ran out of the office.

Nathan and William walked through an open field after they met up at a small tavern where Nathan had changed out of his military armor and into his normal clothes and William had something nonhuman to eat.

“You seem oddly quiet Nathan. Is something wrong?” William asked

“Nothing is wrong. I just don’t feel like talking. Is that a problem?” Nathan responded.

“Did you change that human that you found?” William said asking another question trying to get Nathan to talk.

“Yes I did. He should be waking up any time now.” Nathan stopped walking for a second and listened.

“What?” William asked sounding a little annoyed.

“I thought I heard something.” Nathan started walking again and an arrow whizzed passed his ear. He jumped back. “What the heck?”

William walked over to the place where the arrow had fallen and pulled it out of the ground.
“A vampire hunter’s arrow?” he said a bit confused. “There haven’t been any vampire hunters on this side of the world in nearly 100 years.” Another arrow flew by them, and a hooded figure stepped out of the shadows.

Philip arrived back at his tent that he had shared with Calvin and Ronald, which he now shared with only Ronald, and began packing madly. Ronald looked at him like he was crazy.

“What on earth are you doing?” He asked.

“I’m packing. I got five days of leave and I’m planning to get out of here before the commander has a chance to change his mind. Hand me that pair of socks would you?” Philip told him

“Alright then.” Ronald said and handed Philip the pair of socks, which he took and jammed into a pocket on his saddlebag.

“I think I have everything, so I’ll see you in five days” said Philip as he walked out of the tent and bolted for his horse.

“Good luck and God’s speed.” Ronald called out a bit too late.

The young man came closer to Calvin and stuck out his hand for Calvin to shake. “My name is Lewis, what’s yours?” Calvin stared at Lewis’ hand and didn’t respond, so Lewis dropped his hand.

“My name is Calvin. Not to be rude, but,” Calvin glanced back down at Lewis’ hand and it’s longer than average curved nails. “what are you?” Lewis laughed, an easy going and warm sound.

“That’s not really rude. I’m a shape shifter, my bad, I thought it was a little self-evident.” There was a slightly awkward silence before Calvin asked another question.

“Do you have any idea what happened to me?”

“Yeah, I do. Nathan, a vampire picked you up off the battle field, and turned you into a vampire.”

“Why, and wait, I’m a vampire?” Calvin said shocked

“He is on a mission for the vampire queen, and yes you are a vampire. You probably don’t remember because the mind has a habit of blocking out particularly traumatizing memories in order to preserve itself. The Vampire Queen, Safiria, sent him on a mission to change strong human warriors into vampires because she is building a massive army to fight the disgusting werewolves. She then sent me to follow Nathan and William so that they wouldn’t have to worry about waiting for the new vampire to wake up and have to take them to the heart of Darkovia to be retrained.” Lewis stopped talking so Calvin could absorb this new information. He could tell that Calvin was still having problems wrapping his head around the idea of being a vampire. Lewis shook his head slightly. The new recruits were always pitiful. “Sorry to rush your thought process, but I have a job to do.” Lewis said and Calvin pulled himself out of his thoughts.

“Oh” Calvin responded “I didn’t mean to make you behind schedule or something, sorry.”

“It’s fine, but let’s get moving. Nathan and William went this way.” Lewis said and walked into the trees.

The vampire hunter fired a continuous stream of arrows at Nathan and William. William was using blasts of air to knock the arrows off course so they embedded themselves harmlessly in the surrounding trees, and Nathan was dodging and cutting in half the few arrows that William was unable to deflect. William caught a glimpse of the hunter’s quiver of arrows and noted that he only had three left. He hoped that Nathan had noticed this too.

The hunter fired his last three arrows, pulled out two daggers, and braced himself for the vampire and venti’s attack. The two of them rushed at the hunter each wielding weapons of their own.

Nathan swung at the man with his short sword, and the hunter blocked it by forming an X with his daggers, but in doing so he left himself open to William’s attack from behind. William took advantage of this opening and sliced two deep gashes into the hunter’s back with his knife. The hunter hissed in pain and William smiled, his silver eyes glowed with excitement. He loved a good fight. The hunter spun around and lashed out with a dagger at William, but he easily swatted it away. The hunter had been a skilled archer, but he was awful at close range combat. William hamstrung the man and laughed coldly as he fell.

“Hey Nathan, would you like to end him or add him to the queen’s collection?” William asked Nathan ripped the man’s hood away from his head and stared into his eyes, which were blue and wide with fright. Nathan smiled at the hunter menacingly.

“Let’s add him to her collection.” He said evilly and watched somewhat amused as the hunter struggled to crawl away. “Where do you think you are going?” He asked before he grabbed the man and sank his fangs into his neck.

“No!” The man screamed

“Go ahead and scream. It’s not going to help you.” William mocked.

Frozen Fighter walked through the forests of Darkovia in search of his partner who had done something incredibly stupid and wandered off by himself. He looked at the sky in an attempt to find out what time it was. It didn’t really matter what time it was anyway. In this part of Darkovia the sun never rose.

Frozen just hoped that his partner hadn’t gotten himself injured, killed, or even worse, turned.

Frozen came to an open field and saw a body face down in the grass. From where he was standing he could see that the body was male and wearing the same clothes that his partner had been wearing. Frozen took a quick look around and darted to where the body was laying. He rolled it over so that it was face up and sighed because it was his partner, and there were two small puncture wounds on the side of his neck.

“James, what have you gotten yourself into?” Frozen asked not expecting a response.

“A lot of trouble apparently.” James said weakly with a slight laugh. His eyes opened and one of them was yellow with a slit for a pupil, and the other was its normal shade of brown.

“What happened to you?” Frozen asked him, though he could pretty much guess.

“I went on ahead to check out the area. I saw what looked like two vampires coming my way, so I attacked them. It turned out that one was a vamp, but the other was a venti. I greatly underestimated their power and ability, so I ended up like this. The vampire nearly drained me and then attempted to change me.” James replied

“Do you have any idea in what direction they went?”

“I believe that they went east, though I can’t be sure.”

“Thanks.” Frozen responded and James pulled out a wooden stake. Frozen looked at him, both his eyes had now turned yellow.

“Would you be so kind?” James asked

“Are you sure you want me to do that?” frozen questioned

“Yes I am. Could you please kill me while I am still somewhat human? I am far too much of a coward to do it myself, and I’m not sure I could even move enough to do so.” said James. Frozen set his jaw and positioned the stake above James’ heart. James tensed and Frozen drove the stake into James’ heart. James exploded in a cloud of ash and blew away in the slight breeze. Frozen stood up, brushed part of what was left of James off his clothes, and then headed east.

Nathan and William walked through the forest heading east. William was on full alert, but Nathan was relaxed and didn’t seem to be bothered by the recent appearance of a vampire hunter.

“Shouldn’twe go report to Safiria that we fought a vampire hunter?” William asked

“Nope.” Nathan responded

“What? Why not?”

“It’s not important enough to bother the queen with. Besides, hunters and rangers for the most part are all brawn and very little brain. Also since a bunch of villages were destroyed about ten years ago they don’t travel or live in groups anymore, so there is a very good chance that that one was the only one. There is no need to make the people nervous over nothing,” William was not assured

“It would be better safe than sorry.” William said and Nathan shrugged

“It’s really nothing to worry about. I was there when the first village fell. That was a great time, though the villagers didn’t really put up much of a fight. One of my close friends did manage to sneak up on a bowman who had been hiding in the shadows.” A stick cracked behind them and William whirled around and Nathan laughed at the Venti. “Don’t be so paranoid. It’s just a squirrel” and almost
to prove his point a squirrel ran out of the trees across their path.

Frozen cursed under his breath for stepping on the stick and nearly alerting his enemies to his location. At least the vampire thought it was a squirrel. So the vampire had helped to destroy his village and his family.

Frozen walked silently behind them for a long time and he was about to fit an arrow to his bow when the trees thinned and Battleon came into view. Frozen put the arrow back into the quiver because there were already too many people around to see. He had been so focused that he hadn’t realized that the vampire and venti had changed directions and were no longer headed east. He sighed quietly and followed them into Yulgar’s.

Philip had ridden all night and into the early morning before he decided that he should stop and get some rest before he fell asleep while riding and fell off. The town of Battleon was only a few more miles up the track, so Philip chose to stop there. The sun rose and Philip stopped to watch as it turned the sky brilliant hues of red, yellow, pink, and orange. He, so far, had lived his entire life in Darkovia, and had only seen a few sunsets, and even fewer sunrises. Philip rode the last miles to Battleon and walked into Yulgar’s to look for a room.

“Excuse me sir, by chance do you have an open room available?” Philip asked the man behind the counter, who just so happened to be Yulgar himself.

“Yes, I do. The room on the second floor on the left is open. Would you like to use it?” Yulgar asked

“Yes I would.” Philip said and Yulgar handed him a key.

“Okay, just don’t break anything, and pay before you leave. You can get something to eat down here.”

Philip walked up the stairs to his room and dropped off his little bit of luggage before walking back down the stairs to get something to eat. He sat in the back at a table away from the regulars and other travelers. Philip watched quietly as a young man walked into Yulgar’s and looked around. He looked a little bit shorter than Philip which probably made him about 5”8’. He was lean and pale with dark blue hair that had a turquoise streak in it and ice blue eyes. He was wearing light grey leather armor, with a loose blue combat shirt and pants over it, and light blue sandals. Yulgar spotted the young man and smiled.

“Arata, long time no see, how have you been?” Yulgar asked the young man. Philip also noticed that Arata had an amazing looking katana strapped at his side when he walked over to Yulgar.

“I’ve been pretty good. You?” Arata asked

“I’ve been fine,” responded Yulgar. “Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Yes actually. I’m seeking information. Do you know anything about what’s currently going on in Darkovia?” Yulgar thought for a few moments before he answered.

“I don’t know much, just that the humans of Darkovia are fighting a civil war against each other and the vampires and lycans are fighting like usual. I don’t get many travelers from that area, so I don’t have much information. You could ask some of the travelers in here though. I’m pretty sure that someone will have some information that will be helpful.”

“Thank you for your help Yulgar.” Arata said politely and scanned the room again. His eyes stopped momentarily on Philip before moving on. Arata’s presence made Philip uncomfortable, so he walked up the stairs to his room before Arata had a chance to ask him about the happenings in Darkovia.

Philip slipped up the stairs and into his room with out attracting much notice and sat on his bed. He studied himself in the mirror above a table with a washbasin sitting on it. His hair was such a light blond that it looked white, his skin was extremely fair, and his eyes were a very light blue and a little larger than those of a normal human. Pretty much he looked like a creature that had been raised in the dark and had never seen a ray of sunlight. Philip sat back, looked away from the mirror, and shook his head. He stuck out like a sore thumb in this place, not that it really mattered that much because he was going to catch a few hours of sleep and then get out of this town and as far away from Arata as possible. Plus he didn’t have much time to waste.

A slight look of annoyance briefly crossed Arata’s face as the man he wanted to talk to left the main area of the inn for his room. Arata surveyed the room again and smiled as he spotted an old friend. Frozen Fighter sat at a table in the corner next to the door. Arata walked over and sat down next to him.

“Hello Frozen. How have you been?” Arata asked

“Hi Arata, honestly, I’ve been better.” Frozen responded

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not really.”

“Alright then. I have a question.” Arata stated

“Okay.”

“Do you have any idea what might be happening in and around Darkovia?” Arata asked, and Frozen thought for a second before speaking.

“The Vampires and Lycans are fighting as usual. The few human groups in Darkovia have recently begun fighting, which you have probably heard already.” Arata nodded. “Also the Vampires have been growing their army. They are scavenging the human battlefields for warriors to change. I’m currently following a Vampire and Venti who are traveling Lore looking for people to add to the army. Oh the Vampires are working with some other creatures, like Venti.

Back to top Go down
ookaminami

ookaminami

Calvin's Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calvin's Story   Calvin's Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 am

I'm having doubts about this story and where it is going, if it is going anywhere. Should I continue to write it, or should I just scrap it?
Back to top Go down
Poppy Bill

Poppy Bill

Honor : 11371

Calvin's Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calvin's Story   Calvin's Story I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:20 am

If you need help writing it, Nami, Arata and I are here to help you. Or, if you're tired of the idea, then scrap it and start fresh. Ultimately, the decision is up to you. If you don't like how you've written it, but still want to continue the story, then simply try re-writing it.
Back to top Go down
ookaminami

ookaminami

Calvin's Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calvin's Story   Calvin's Story I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks bill. Anyone else have an opinion or a bit of advise?
Back to top Go down
Arata
Creative
Creative
Arata

Honor : 11210

Calvin's Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calvin's Story   Calvin's Story I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:23 am

I agree with Bill :D We're always here if you need any help, so don't hesitate to ask :P But yes, it's up to you. Try rewriting it if you don't like what you have but like the story. Try it from a different point of view or different form of writing and see what works. If you want something else, try a new idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Calvin's Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Calvin's Story   Calvin's Story I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calvin's Story
Page 1 of 1